How spare parts are managed is an essential element in reliability and maintenance management of physical assets. It makes sense, then, for an organization’s asset-management system to address all requirements for spare-parts-management processes throughout the entire risk-posing supply chain. Here are key references to ISO-55001 clauses with my suggested questions regarding these processes.
Planning (Clause 6)
6.1 Actions to address risks and opportunities for the asset management system
- Where are the organization’s objectives at risk due to failures of spare parts and/or spare-parts-management processes?
- What practices should be put in place to prevent undesired effects from failures of spare parts?
6.2 Asset-management objectives and planning to achieve them
- How should asset-management objectives within relevant organizational functions and levels be structured to include spare-parts management?
- How should the strategic-asset-management plan address the spare-parts supply chain?
Support (Clause 7)
- Organizational collaboration may be required to manage the spare-parts supply chain. What parts of the organization should be involved?”
- What resources would be required to maintain reliable spare-parts-management processes?
- What skills and knowledge are required to assure the spare-parts-management processes continue to achieve the asset-management objectives?
- What ensures that those involved are aware of the company policy, objectives, and plan?
- What communication mechanisms are needed to assure effective management processes?
Operation (Clause 8)
8.1 Operational planning and control
- What practices should be established to ensure that spare-parts-management processes are being carried out as planned?
8.2 Management of change
- What processes are needed to ensure that any changes to the spare-parts-management processes don’t have any unintended consequences?
- How should the spare-parts supply chain outside the organization be managed to ensure that the objectives and plans are achieved?
Performance evaluation (Clause 9)
9.1 Monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation
- What elements of the spare-parts-management processes should be monitored, measured, analyzed, and evaluated?
9.2 Internal audit
- How should an internal audit be conducted to evaluate the effectiveness and compliance of the spare-parts-management process?
9.3 Management review
- What elements of the spare-parts-management process should be periodically reviewed by top management?
Improvement (Clause 10)
- What corrective actions should be established to address non-conformity with the spare-parts-management processes?
- What processes should be in place to prevent failures or identify potential failures of the spare-parts-management processes?
- What continuous-improvement processes should be established to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the spare-parts-management processes? MT
Bob Williamson, CMRP, CPMM, and member of the Institute of Asset Management, is in his fourth decade of focusing on the “people side” of world-class reliability and maintenance. Contact him at RobertMW2@cs.com.
The ISO 55000:2014 Asset Management Standard could play a major role in industry in the coming years. Keep up to date with our ongoing coverage of this Standard at maintenancetechnology.com/iso55k.